The streets of Harare erupted in celebration after Mr Mugabe’s resignation was announced during a joint session of both houses of the Zimbabwean parliament that had gathered to launch impeachment proceedings on Tuesday afternoon, bringing to an end 37 years in power which he began as a hero of the struggle against white rule and ended as the man blamed for reducing his country to despotism and economic misery..
According to him, he stated that “My decision to resign is voluntary on my part and arises from my concern for the welfare of the people of Zimbabwe and my desire for a smooth, non-violent transfer of power,” Mr Mugabe said in a letter read out by Jacob Mudenda, the speaker of parliament.
Below are some of his Funny but thoughtful Quotes;
- Sometimes you look back at girls you spent money on rather than send it to your mum and you realise witchcraft is real
2. If President Barack Obama wants me to allow marriage for same-sex couples in my country (Zimbabwe), he must come here so that I marry him first.
3. I am still the Hitler of the time. This Hitler has only one objective: justice for his people, sovereignty for his people, recognition of the independence of his people and their rights over their resources. If that is Hitler, then let me be Hitler tenfold. Ten times, that is what we stand for.
4. Dont fight even over girlfriends. The country is full of beautiful women. If you cant get one, come to Mugabe for assistance.
5. South Africans will kick down a statue of a dead white man but won’t even attempt to slap a live one. Yet they can stone to death a black man simply because he’s a foreigner
6. The struggle hasn’t ended. It’s only just begun in our view. In the sense that if all goes well during the elections and we emerge as the government there will still be another form of struggle. But there’s going to be lots of work in reconstruction, resettling people. In the initial period we will expect all the support groups we have here in Britain and elsewhere to concentrate their efforts in enabling us to resettle our people.
7. The only white man you can trust is a dead white man.
8. I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.
9. Our votes must go together with our guns. After all, any vote we shall have, shall have been the product of the gun. The gun which produces the vote should remain its security officer – its guarantor. The people’s votes and the people’s guns are always inseparable twins.
10. Cooperation and respect for each other will advance the cause of human rights worldwide. Confrontation, vilification, and double standards will not.
11. I have died many times. I have actually beaten Jesus Christ because he only died once.
13. Don’t drink at all, don’t smoke, you must exercise and eat vegetables and fruit.
14. We don’t mind having sanctions banning us from Europe. We are not Europeans.
15. I am an educationist. I’m an economist. I am a politician. I am also now a good storyteller, you know?
16. We will have no mercy for white people regarding the land, they cannot own our soil.